"the family is the basis of a righteous life, and no other institution can take its place or fulfill its essential functions"
~ Thomas S Monson ~

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Highs and Lows

Finally sitting down to dinner at 8:00 (really late for me - not necessarily to eat on a Summer evening, but definitely to have the kitchen still "open") and after prayer, as buzzards descend and push and shove and peck for their portions - uh, I mean as plates are dished up and serving bowls (and opened cans of green beans and corn I'm too lazy to transfer to bowls) are passed around, I ask my darlings, "So, what were your highs and lows today?" mentally and emotionally bracing myself because I know that Jess is still steaming angry about earlier, and from the corner of my eye I see her older brothers stiffen just a bit preparing themselves too when Jess immediately pounces in with her answer,

"My low is that I didn't get a sister!"

this exact response was so unexpeted - we tried to not bust up laughing

"AND that Mom made me go with her to the computer lab tonight!"

that's more what we'd been expecting

and she continued on for a minute or so

and then she had wonderful highs - getting to spend time one-on-one with Marcia (much needed and much beloved)

we were still stuck on that sister comment though.


Thank you Marcia for giving her that precious time WITH you, and AWAY from her brothers for a bit.