We loved the post about TJ and her onion.
When Michael was just walking well (about 14 months), out of the corner of my eye, I saw him quickly walk over to the kitchen table, reach up and grab the clear glass bowl that was near the edge and drink it down before I could get it from him. I was worried because it was about a half inch of HOT salsa juices left over from eating all the chunks and pieces of the salsa with chips. I grabbed the bowl just as he finished. I watched for his face to turn bright red and steam to come out his ears and flames out his mouth. I was quickly pouring him cold milk and grabbing plain bread for him to help dilute it. He didn't want those though, he kept pointing to the bowl and wanted more! no steam, no flames.
A few months later, some teenagers gave him a lemon wedge so they could see him pucker up. He just wanted more. He loves raw vegies and peppers and onions and garlic. All four of my kids like plain raw lemons and eat them like oranges, and I like lemon juice but can't quite "eat" the lemon. I like raw garlic though, plain and by itself is fine. All of us eat red bell peppers like apples (awesome travel or picnic food) and we also like plain uncooked, unwarmed corn on the cob (but I try to limit that, I heard people should have it cooked, we don't have horses' stomachs). My kids will eat almost any vegetable as long as it is still CRUNCHY. I cook corn, broccoli and cauliflower just a little so they're easier on the stomach but still crunchy. (I do cook potatoes and yams completely though.) I'm the mom who brings along a bag of baby carrots and a box of (unfrosted) shredded wheat cereal and unsalted peanuts as snacks at the Football game, or grapes and a jar of peanut butter and a bag of pretzels to the Cross Country meet, or I pull apart a large red pepper to share as a snack. Often though, I also bring red licorice or peanut M&Ms.
Overall, I've been very lucky and my kids aren't extremely picky eaters. If there is something a kid, or a grown-up, hates (it causes an instant gag-reflex) I don't think they should have to eat it, as long as there is a nutritional substitute they will eat, and as long as they are polite about it (no rude comments, gestures or faces). My rule is they have to eat something green and something red or orange at lunch and dinner (breakfast is too rushed) and Cheetos do not count as "orange healthy food." If they are going through a "I hate tomatoes stage" (Jacob is my first one to do that) then they can eat the carrots instead. I haven't had to make a rule like that about protein and grains with my kids yet, they eat those no problem. Two of my kids HATE mayonnaise but I'm not about to tell them they HAVE to eat it when most grown-ups (and kids) should be cutting way back on it.
I like coming up with FAST, EASY recipes which kids will actually eat and which I will actually make. (If it looks like a recipe is going to get too many dishes dirty, I don't do it - or I alter it and throw everything in one pan.) Because we like the vegies raw, I'll put a cheese pizza in the oven, we say the blessing, and then eat salad or raw vegie sticks while waiting for the pizza to cook, and then we can have our "dessert" of pizza. When I find something fast and easy and healthy and we all like it, I tend to make it ALL the time, until one of the kids reminds me that we haven't had anything else for a few centuries, or weeks. Here's my latest:
- 2 packages of pre-cooked stir-fry noodles (I get Fortune Yakisoba 7.7 ounce packages which includes a seasoning package - they have various flavors)
- 1 package of pre-washed broccoli cole slaw (just the raw "slivers" of broccoli, carrots and cabbage - no sauce - about 12 ounces)
- 1 package of mung bean sprouts (about 16 ounces)
- 3 salmon patties (plain, raw salmon shaped into hamburger patties and frozen - or use any meat you want or none, or tofu. I use the "salmon burgers" for tons of recipes because they're healthy, fairly cheap, easy, and we all LOVE salmon.)
- a little olive oil
- a BIG non-stick skillet with a lid (or a piece of foil)
Put the unopened packages of pre-cooked noodles in a bowl (or sink) of HOT water to loosen them up. Pour a little oil in the pan and cook the salmon, cover and "steam" one side, then the other, then break it up into pieces. When it's done, open and dump in the broccoli slaw, stir a bit and cook covered for a minute. Then open and dump in the noodles, gently pulling them apart and mix them in and cook for another minute. Then open and dump in the bean sprouts and mix them in. Open the seasoning packets that come with the noodles and sprinkle the dry mix over the top of the whole pan and then stir it in. (I'm no good at figuring out spices so I always look for premixed spices or sauces, or we just go without.) Maybe cook for another minute and serve immediately. We eat it with chop sticks. Michael (my gourmet chef) likes to add more sauces and spices to his. I've also made it with bite size pieces of broccoli and carrots and mushrooms and baby corn on the cobs.