"What is my fascination with with football movies if I'm so worried about you kids playing tackle?" I bemused out loud as I was intently wrapped up in watching The Express and realizing that several of my new favorite movies were about football.
"Because it helps you prepare so you let us play," answered Nathan from behind me.
I just choose good family movies that look like they have good stories and characters and are decent to watch, and often, those turn out to be "sports movies." Remember the Titans, Facing the Giants, The Air Up There, The Express, Pride, Brian's Song, Glory Road, Cool Runnings, The Longshots, Finding Forrester, Miracle, Radio, Karate Kid, Believe In Me, Forever Strong, The Blind Side. And when I think about it, a lot of the movies we haven't seen yet, but are excited to see, like The Perfect Game and the new Karate Kid, are sports movies too. huh
I think Nathan's not quite right though - I think I love the backstory of the characters, and the teamwork, and the coach, and the emotional energy, and the positive lessons learned, and the awesome soundtracks sports movies seem to have, ... and just watching other people who are capable of grace and balance and speed and talent in sports - which I am definitely not, but my children seem to be. I love watching them play/race too. I guess that's my sport, my talent - Active Spectator.
Oh - I guess I also love Science Fiction movies for all the same reasons - great stories and relationship between characters, lessons learned, intense energy, awesome soundtracks, and watching people who have a clue about technology, mechanics, and science in a way that's fascinating. (Star Trek was amazing - thank you Marcia!)