I can handle lizards and frogs - those teeny-tiny ones that tickle when they run/hop up your arm are so sweet - but there is just something wrong with a creature that has NO appendages what so ever. Well, actually, earth worms in a garden are okay - they are slow and they don't dart at you, and I guess I feel bad for them getting stabbed on hooks and used to lure fish
I'm glad though that my kids are not squeamish around snakes (although Jessica, who loves finding the tiny skinny things that live in the orchard, did not want to touch this big boy at first)
And I'm REALLY glad there are other adults in my kids lives who are willing to get right in there with them.
When we went to pick up Jess from her piano lesson with Krissy (this was the Classical Music Day Camp),
the boys went to jump on the trampoline out back while we waited, and they discovered this guy
Kyle used to have pet snakes - IN his room! (INSIDE! well, in their own big enclosed glass house, but still, INside) and Krissy was happy to see this snake because he could keep little critters out of her gardens.
I understand that they can be helpful in that way, and I am glad my kids are not afraid or grossed out by them. I personally am in agreement with Indiana Jones though. (Notice how I'm staying on the other side of the fence)
A few days later -
Michael and Nathan found this little guy to show their little cousins