still whittling away at required college classes
Geology lecture and lab - DONE
this summer we covered:
*first was space and planets (I knew most of this from Magic School Bus and helping with 3rd grade space reports, Jacob helped me with what I didn't know or remember)
*then elements and minerals and rocks and volcanoes (Jessica and Jacob helped me with the rocks and volcanoes, Michael and Nathan helped with the elements and minerals)
*then "geologic aging" (I get the relative dating just fine, but the rest was too much, and what do I need it for to work with Kindergarten-3rd graders? And Jacob didn't know how to calculate carbon dating, and Michael and Nathan didn't remember - which just proves how unimportant and useless this is because they remember everything - and then they left on a week long Scout rafting/hiking trip and I was lost that chapter without my tutors)
*then geological features and map reading (FUN - and I could do this myself - love maps, and I've had years of Cub Scouts and Scouts working on orienteering type badges and preparing for hikes)
*then the earthquakes, plate tectonics and ocean sections (already knew quite a bit from Magic School Bus and Jacob helped me with the vocabulary and stuff I didn't know)
*we ran out of time for the weather section (darn - the best one for Kindergarten-3rd grade teachers) but she gave us the packet to do on our own as extra credit and told us it wouldn't be on the final - should have swapped the carbon dating thing for weather! (I still know The Water Cycle Boogie from Mrs. Bailey and know tons of weather stuff from Magic School Bus and from Grandpa Chuck's lessons and demonstrations over the years, and I still know the cloud names from that Science Fair project Jacob did - we've been pointing out different types of clouds to each other ever since - and this is a subject we must own a good 30-50 used books about)
anyway - done!
and I couldn't have done it without you kids, thank you!
update - the kids finally got their scores back from the yearly State Tests they take in the Spring (Nathan has been practically haunting the mailbox impatiently waiting to see his). Nathan's science (Biology) scores were:
Cell Biology 100%
Genetics 100%
Physiology 100%
Investigations and Experimentation 100%
Evolution 75%
what a good boy